Medicaid Expansion and Eligibility FAQs
Q: When does Medicaid expansion enrollment start in Louisiana?
A: Enrollment in Medicaid for those newly eligible under expansion began on June 1, 2016.
Q: When does the Medicaid expansion coverage begin?
A: Coverage will begin on July 1, 2016.
Q: How will I know if I’m eligible for Medicaid coverage under expansion?
A: Louisiana residents who meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Ages 19 to 64 years old
- Have a household income below $16,764 per year for an individual or $34,644 per year for a family of four (this chart provides details)
- Don’t already qualify for Medicaid or Medicare
You can read more about the eligibility requirements on the Louisiana Medicaid website.
Q: How do I enroll in Medicaid?
Q: What if I’m enrolled in GNOCHC (Greater New Orleans Community Health Connection) or Take Charge Plus program?
A: If you are eligible for Medicaid expansion coverage, you will get a letter from Medicaid stating that you will have full Medicaid effective July 1. Some Take Charge Plus enrollees will not be eligible for expanded Medicaid, but will still get their Take Charge Plus benefits. All GNOCHC enrollees will be enrolled in expanded Medicaid.
Q: What does Medicaid cost?
A: There is no cost to enroll in Medicaid. Copays may vary depending on what health plan you choose. Some Louisiana Healthcare Connections members may pay a small copay of $3 or less for prescription drugs. Members who are under age 21, pregnant or in the hospital never have copays.
Q: How do I choose a health plan?
A: Once you are determined eligible for Medicaid, you will be assigned a plan. You will have 90 days to change to another health plan if you don’t want to stay in the one assigned to you. Once a year, you will have a 60-day time period in which you can change plans. This time period is called open enrollment.
Q: What is the difference between Medicaid and Louisiana Healthcare Connections?
A: Medicaid is a public program that helps with medical costs for some people with limited income. In Louisiana, the Medicaid program is called Healthy Louisiana (previously Bayou Health).
When you sign up for Medicaid, you will enroll in a health plan. The health plan you choose will provide benefits that help you get the right healthcare for your needs. There are five health plans to choose from in Louisiana:
- Louisiana Healthcare Connections
- Aetna Better Health
- Healthy Blue
- Amerihealth Caritas
Q: Why should I choose Louisiana Healthcare Connections?
A: We’re more than Medicaid, we’re your neighbor. We’re local people providing local care to the communities in which we live and work.
- More than 15,000 in-network doctors, specialists, clinics and other healthcare providers.
- Our healthy rewards program, My Health Pays™, lets you earn money for taking care of yourself – like $10 for getting your annual wellness checkup.
- We’re a Louisiana-based organization, so when you call us or talk with a case manager, they’re right here in Louisiana.
- MemberConnections team across the state hosts community events and visits members’ homes to give extra help to those who need it.