Need Help Applying for Medicaid?
Medicaid helps over a million Louisianans get health insurance and take care of their health. For people who don’t get insurance from their job, have children, or are pregnant, Medicaid is a huge help.
But the application process can be confusing. Some people who are eligible may not even apply. If you’re wondering about Medicaid and how to apply, read on!
Am I Eligible for Medicaid?
Louisiana expanded Medicaid in 2016, so more people than ever are eligible. Medicaid provides health insurance for:
- low-income people
- families and children
- pregnant women
- the elderly
- people with disabilities
Even if you’re not sure you are eligible, you should apply. Someone will review your application and see if you qualify. What have you got to lose?
And remember: your Medicaid eligibility can change. You may want to submit a new Medicaid application, even if your application was denied in the past.
What Documents are Required?
Medicaid applications can be delayed or denied if they are not complete. Before you apply for Medicaid, be sure to have these documents ready:
- Social Security Numbers (or document numbers for any legal immigrants)
- Employer and income information for everyone in your family (for example, paystubs, W-2 forms, or wage and tax statements)
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance
- Information about any job-related health insurance available to your family
How do I apply?
Ok, you know about eligibility. You’ve got your documents. You’re ready to apply. There are four easy ways:
- Apply Online at Healthcare.gov. Fill out an application through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Visit a Medicaid Application Center. Friendly experts can answer your questions and help you complete the Medicaid application.
- Get the Mobile App and enroll on the go. Available for iPhone and Android.
- Call 1-855-229-6848 (TTY: 1-855-526-3346) to apply for Medicaid over the phone. Hours of operation: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Don’t forget to choose a health plan when you apply. Check out our tips for choosing a Medicaid health plan in Louisiana.
- After you apply for Medicaid, you can check the status of your application online.